Friday 7 May 2010

Butterflies and Blossoms, and my favourite things!

Well, some of my favourite things! The Sir Stampalot Challenge for May is right up my street, as is the prize! Butterflies and/or blossoms tend to appear on most of my cards, and anything by Tim Holtz would find a good home in my craft room, so this is one challenge I couldn't miss.


The only materials I've used for this card are paper and one shade of ink. Having finally managed to get my hands on some of the new Distress inks, I think Chipped Sapphire is going to become my favourite colour. More of a purply-blue than the denim of Faded Jeans, and just what I was hoping there would be in the new range. The flower stamp is an old favourite, by Funstamps. I've had it for years but use it often, as it's so pretty and versatile. Here I've used a favourite technique to colour it. I'm not sure what it's really called, but I call it the magic painting technique, because it reminds me of those children's painting books which appear to have blank pages until you paint over them with plain water, and the picture magically appears. I used to love them when I was a child (and confess I still do!).

I stamped the image with Chipped Sapphire, and then, with a fine paint brush and clean water, drew out some of the colour from the outline to shade it in. By using more or less water and blotting areas you want to be paler, it's possible to vary the depth of colour. When I've used this technique before, I've always done it with Adirondack rainbow inkpads, and this is the first time I've tried it with a single colour, but I really like the result. The Distress ink works perfectly for it. And to think that when Distress inks first came out, I didn't see what all the fuss was about! Now I wouldn't be without them.

The background stamp is Dots & Flowers by Hero Arts, the sentiment by Darkroom Door, the circle and oval shapes were cut with my Nestabilities and the butterflies were punched from paper coloured with the Chipped Sapphire ink. The overall effect reminds me of Delft Pottery. And, of course, blue and white is one of my favourite colour combinations.

13 comments:

Love crafts forever said...

Your blog just gorgeous. Flowers and butterfly is my favorites too. You did an awesome job on coloring your image, and thanks for the lovely comment on my card. Hugs.
Nataliya.

Lisa Jane said...

wow Lynne - what a beautiful card - it reminds me of the Willow pattern china that my mum has .
The flowers are gorgeous.
Lisa ;)

judith@poppy cottage said...

Hi Lynne, I love Delft pottery too, and the memories of trips to Bruges when I was a slip of a girl! I really like the simple colour scheme of your card, and this is a lovely colour. Glad to s you back crafting, the techniques are fab in this card too, Judith x

brenda said...

Morning Lynne

Glad I ticked the right boxes with this months theme, bit of a giveway with Sally and I invoved what might be coming your way.

Arent these new TH inks lovely, not really used the chipped sapphire one yet, but loving victorian velevet and rusty hinge.

Now your card, just stunning, the monotne effect works perfectly and yes, I can see the Delft pottery coming through.


I am so pleased to see you joining us at Stampalot challenge and good luck.

B x

chris said...

HI there Lynne
this is so very pretty, I have looked at that background stamop may a time and its now on my list.
hugs chris xx
thanks for joining in the Sir Stampalot challenge.

pinky said...

Lynne this is just gorgeous, love the blue and white, perfect combination. Thanks for sharing at Sir Stampalot this month.
Pinky

Sally H said...

Stunning card, Lynne! Such a wonderful colour combo and I love how you have done the flowers. Thanks for sharing with us at sir Stampalot and good luck!

Francesca said...

This is very pretty, Thanks for joining us at sir stampalot this month and good luck
Hugs
Francesca

Lesley said...

Beautiful card Lynne, the stamping is lovely. I love all my DIs and often watercolour with them, they are so versatile aren't they, especially the new colours! xx

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Lynne this is my first time here but it will not be the last as I have become a follower. I love your blog and could tell straight away that you love butterflies lol...and your card has won a place in my heart it is stunning it is both beautiful and elegant a wonderful creation thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot.
Hugs
Lorraine x

craftimamma said...

This is just gorgeous Lynne and what a pretty image. I can see why you love it and the blue and white makes such a clean looking card too. Simply beautiful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Sir Stampalot’s Challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

PinksyDoodles said...

Your card is stunning Lynne, so bright and fresh.
Thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Clare x